WHY BECOME A MENTOR?
Mentoring, at its core, guarantees young people that there is someone who cares about them, assures them they are not alone in dealing with day-to-day challenges, and makes them feel like they matter. Research confirms that quality mentoring relationships have powerful positive effects on young people in a variety of personal, academic, and professional situations. Ultimately, mentoring connects a young person to personal growth and development, and social and economic opportunity. Yet one in three young people will grow up without this critical asset.
Based on MENTOR Vermont’s survey 2023 survey results…
- 94% of mentees said that “My mentor makes me feel like I matter.”
- 95% of mentees said that “Having a mentor has made a positive difference in my life.”
- 96% of mentors said that “I would recommend being a mentor to a friend, family member, or colleague.”
- 94% of mentors said that “The mentoring training and/or experiences I had over the past year has made me a more effective mentor.”
Supporting Young People in Vermont
Mentors play a positive role in helping their mentees have new experiences and explore their strengths and interests. Having a caring adult mentor in their life can help a youth gain confidence, develop new skills, and feel more connected to their school and community. Mentors can also encourage their mentees to engage in their schoolwork and think critically about what they want to do after high school.
Young Adults With a Mentor Are…
- 55% less likely than their peers to skip a day of school
- 78% more likely to volunteer regularly
- 90% are interested in becoming a mentor
- 130% more likely to hold leadership positions.
Mentoring provides meaningful connections that impact the people involved and influence their lives at home, at work, and in their communities. For those who are being mentored, it is linked to improved academic, social and economic prospects. For those who are mentoring, the relationship can build leadership and management skills, expand a mentor’s professional network, and provide an empowering opportunity to give back to the community.