January is National Mentoring Month! Please join us in celebrating and helping us raise awareness of the need for more mentoring relationships in Vermont.
For the seventh straight year, MENTOR Vermont and Comcast teamed up again this January to recognize outstanding volunteer mentors and their mentees from around the state!
If your Vermont-based mentoring agency would like to nominate a match for the 2023 Vermont Ambassadors of Mentoring please complete this nomination form.
To meet the 2022 honorees visit the Ambassadors of Mentoring webpage!
Because of the pandemic, we realize this has been an especially difficult year for youth, and for mentors as well. With these awards, MENTOR Vermont and Comcast hope to highlight the ways mentors and mentees have maintained their connections and discovered new ways to stay in touch during this time of uncertainty. We want to promote positivity, and to encourage new people to become mentors, even if it looks a little different than it did before.
The virtual award ceremony for the 2022 Ambassadors will take place on January 31st at 4:00 pm.
Our January 2022 virtual Vermont Mentoring Month campaign will include many of the elements of past in-person celebrations but will take place online throughout the month. Our goal remains the same, to increase public awareness and support for youth mentoring programs.
This virtual campaign includes the following events:
- Ambassadors of Mentoring Awards (hosted by Comcast)
- Monday, January 31st at 4:00 pm
- Mentor Match Trivia (sponsored by PC Construction)
- Sunday, February 6th at 3:00 pm – 11 years and younger
- Tuesday, February 8th at 6:30 pm – 12 years and older
- National Mentoring Summit
- January 26 – 28, 2022
- An annual opportunity for individuals in the mentoring community across the country to come together and discuss the mentoring movement; to advance a collective mentoring agenda, strengthen programs and practices, and collaborate to support positive youth development through mentoring.
- Capital Hill Day
- January 26, 2022
- Mentors, mentees, and mentoring program coordinators across Vermont have the opportunity to connect with Members of Congress and their staff to talk about critical issues facing the nation’s youth and the legislation and policies they can implement to expand access to quality mentoring opportunities
Join us this January as we elevate the power of relationships and drive positive change for young people. Find more resources and join the movement at www.mentoring.org/nmm.
Statewide and National Events:
January 6, 2022 – I Am a Mentor Day
- A day for volunteer mentors to celebrate their role and reflect on the ways mentees have enhanced their world. Mentors are encouraged to create their own content on social media or download this graphic from MENTOR.
January 17, 2022 – International Mentoring Day
- A day of international conversation on social media where photos, videos, and messages of powerful mentoring stories were shared.
January 17, 2022 – Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service
- A day to share in the inspirational words of Dr. MLK, Jr. and elevate the spirit of service through volunteerism. Supporters were encouraged to share their own content on social media or download this graphic from MENTOR.
January 27, 2022 – Thank Your Mentor Day
- A day for everyone to reflect on the mentors they’ve had in their life, and thank them on social media for helping them become the person they are today. Supporters were encouraged to post their own content on social media or download this graphic from MENTOR.
January 26 – January 28, 2022 – National Mentoring Summit
- This year’s 12th annual National Mentoring Summit, convened by MENTOR National. MENTOR is brought together the nationwide mentoring movement, including practitioners, researchers, philanthropic investors, youth leaders, government and civic leaders, and MENTOR’s local Affiliates for the annual opportunity to advance a collective mentoring agenda, strengthen programs and practices, and collaborate to support positive youth development through mentoring.
We hope you will join us in celebrating Vermont Mentoring Month this January!
Mentoring Month Proclamation
2022 Mentoring Month Proclamation
Download Governor Scott’s 2022 Vermont Mentoring Month Proclamation
Vermont Mentoring Day Resolution (January 25, 2022), introduced by Rep. Kate Webb (Chittenden-5-1) and ratified by the Vermont House of Representatives and Senate
2022 Mentoring Day Resolution
Download the Resolution
Watch the reading of the official resolution and remarks by Rep. Kate Webb below.
Launched in 2002 by MENTOR National and the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, National Mentoring Month focuses national attention on the need for mentors, as well as how each of us—individuals, businesses, government agencies, schools, faith communities and nonprofits—can work together to increase the number of mentors to help ensure positive outcomes for our young people. This campaign celebrates mentoring and the positive effect it can have on young lives. Its goals are to:
- Raise awareness of mentoring in its various forms
- Recruit individuals to mentor, especially in programs that have waiting lists of young people
- Promote the rapid growth of mentoring by recruiting organizations to engage their constituents in mentoring
National partners work with local leaders to organize special events in their communities supported by local media outlets and public officials. These events help interested adults learn how to turn their concern for young people into direct action by becoming mentors. Each year since its launch, National Mentoring Month has enjoyed the strong support of the U.S. President and members of Congress. Other well-known supporters include the late Maya Angelou, Clint Eastwood, Senator John McCain, Quincy Jones, General Colin L. Powell, Cal Ripken Jr., Bill Russell and Usher. Learn more about those who have committed to helping improve the lives of America’s young people through mentoring by viewing a collection of video vignettes and short PSAs from the past 15 years of National Mentoring Month. In addition, read former President Barack Obama’s National Mentoring Month press release from January 2016.
MENTOR Vermont, as the state’s affiliate of MENTOR, organizes an annual Vermont Mentoring Month campaign featuring both statewide and local program events.
National Mentoring Month Sponsors: