January is National Mentoring Month! We encourage you to use the resources below to join the festivities and help us raise awareness of the need for more mentors and mentoring programs in Vermont.
MENTOR Vermont and Comcast are teaming up again this January to recognize outstanding volunteer mentors and their mentees from around the state!
In January 2020, we are replacing the Mentor of the Year Award with the Ambassadors of Mentoring Awards. Based on feedback from program leaders, our hope is that this new format will do an even better job of celebrating the unique stories of the variety of mentor matches from across the state, and will more intentionally highlight the voices of youth mentees as well as their mentors in the storytelling process.
Meet this year’s mentor and mentee Ambassador honorees by visiting the Ambassadors of Mentoring page!
Register Today for the 2020 Vermont Youth Mentoring Celebration!
Register for FREE Here!
(Please RSVP by Noon on 1/17)
Date: January 22, 2020
Time: 9:45 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Where: Capitol Plaza Hotel & the Vermont Statehouse
What: This annual event, convened by MENTOR Vermont and our Program Leadership Council, brings together youth mentees, mentors, legislators, and supporters to officially mark January as Mentoring Month in Vermont, and recognize the 2,300 mentor and mentee matches from across the state. The Celebration will feature a Mentoring Month proclamation by the Governor, a Mentoring Month resolution by the House and Senate, recognition of the 2020 Ambassadors of Mentoring by Comcast, free statehouse tours and lunch for youth mentees and their mentors, and much more!
The full tentative schedule for this year’s event is:
9:15 am – 9:45 am: Register and gather at the Capitol Plaza Hotel, in the Governors Ballroom
9:45 am – 11:30 am:
Mentor Match Activities (for youth of all ages)
Signing of Governor’s Mentoring Month Proclamation and Remarks by Governor Phil Scott
Presentation of the Ambassadors of Mentoring Awards by Comcast
11:30 am – 12:30 pm:
Lunch (legislators are invited to attend and meet mentor matches)
Group Photos for Programs
-Move across street to Vermont Statehouse-
12:45 pm: Gather in House Chambers
1:00 pm: Mentoring Month Resolution by the House of Representatives
1:30 pm: Tours of the Statehouse
-Conclusion of Event-
Thank You to our 2020 Vermont Mentoring Month Sponsors:
Ambassadors of Mentoring Sponsor:
Vermont Mentoring Month Sponsors:
Mentoring Supporter Sponsors:
Additional Support From:
To learn more about last year’s event, visit:
Statewide and National Events:
January 8, 2020 – I Am a Mentor Day
- A day for volunteer mentors to celebrate their role and reflect on the ways mentees have enhanced their world. Share your own content on social media or download this graphic from MENTOR.
January 17, 2020 – International Mentoring Day
- A day of international conversation on social media where photos, videos and messages of powerful mentoring stories are shared. Share your own content on social media or download this graphic from MENTOR.
January 20, 2020 – Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service
- A day to share in the inspirational words of Dr. MLK, Jr. and elevate the spirit of service through volunteerism. Share your own content on social media or download this graphic from MENTOR.
January 22, 2020 – Vermont Mentoring Celebration (Montpelier, VT)
- This annual event, convened by MENTOR Vermont and our Program Leadership Council, brings together youth mentees, mentors, legislators, and supporters to officially mark January as Mentoring Month in Vermont, and recognize the 2,300 mentor and mentee matches from across the state. More info here.
January 29 – January 31, 2020 – National Mentoring Summit (Washington D.C.)
January 30, 2020 – #ThankYourMentor Day
- A day to reflect on the mentors you’ve had in your life, and thank them on social media for helping you become the person you are today. Share your own content on social media or download this graphic from MENTOR.
For a full list of local program events across the state, visit MENTOR Vermont’s Events page.
Do you have a National Mentoring Month event you’d like to have us promote? Send it to [email protected]. Please be sure to include the start and end time, a paragraph description, and the full address for the location.
Right-Click on a computer or press and hold on a mobile device to download a campaign image!
Feel free to copy/paste these sample tweets and posts into your own social media account! Be sure to use the hashtag #MentorIRL in all of your posts to tie into the national campaign.
- This National #MentoringMonth, you can make a difference in a young person’s life and help them explore their strengths and interests! Become a mentor in real life today at www.mentorvt.org/become-a-mentor #MentorIRL
- Did You Know? Young people with a mentor in their life are 78% more likely to volunteer in their communities, and are 81% more likely to participate in sports and other extracurricular activities. #MentorIRL
- Research shows that there is something most Americans agree on: mentoring relationships are powerful tools for connection & are critical to our country’s future. This #MentoringMonth, help inspire others to join the mentoring movement at www.mentorvt.org/become-a-mentor #MentorIRL
- This National #MentoringMonth, thank the mentors in your life by sharing your mentoring story using #ThankYourMentor! Let the world know how your mentors helped YOU become the person you are today. #MentorIRL
- Thank you @… for being my mentor. Because you were there for me, I was able to… #MentorIRL
- More than 86% of mentees in #VT say that their mentor has made a difference in their life. Thank you to the 2,300 mentors across the state for taking an hour or two a week to be there for your mentee! #MentorIRL
Mentoring is a critical component in young people’s lives, helping them make the decisions and connections that lead to opportunity. You can help expand the mentoring movement by sharing the key speaking points below with your friends and followers throughout January and beyond:
- 1 in 3 young people are growing up without a mentor outside their family. This is the mentoring gap in Vermont and America.
- That’s 32,000 young people in Vermont and 9 million young people nation-wide without a mentor outside their family to walk alongside them through their journey.
- Youth with mentors are less likely to skip school and more likely to pursue college and other education opportunities after high school.
- Young people with a mentor in their life are 78% more likely to volunteer in their communities, and are 81% more likely to participate in sports and other extracurricular activities.
- More than 86% of mentors in Vermont play a direct role in their mentee’s education.
- Nearly 87% of youth mentees in Vermont say that having a mentor has made a difference in their life.
- At a time when much of the focus is on what divides us, MENTOR research shows that there is something the majority of Americans agree on: mentoring relationships are powerful tools for connection and are critical to our country’s future.
- Americans are overwhelmingly crossing racial, economic, and other bridges to mentor young people outside their families.
- More than 80% of adults agree with government investment in mentoring, and more than two-thirds are already mentoring or willing to consider it.
- Nearly 96% of mentors in Vermont would recommend becoming a mentor to a friend, family member, or colleague.
Launched in 2002 by MENTOR: The National Mentoring Partnership and the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, National Mentoring Month focuses national attention on the need for mentors, as well as how each of us—individuals, businesses, government agencies, schools, faith communities and nonprofits—can work together to increase the number of mentors to help ensure positive outcomes for our young people. This campaign celebrates mentoring and the positive effect it can have on young lives. Its goals are to:
- Raise awareness of mentoring in its various forms
- Recruit individuals to mentor, especially in programs that have waiting lists of young people
- Promote the rapid growth of mentoring by recruiting organizations to engage their constituents in mentoring
MENTOR Vermont, as the state’s affiliate of MENTOR, organizes an annual Vermont Mentoring Month campaign with a statewide Mentoring Celebration and local program events.