January was National Mentoring Month! Thank you for celebrating and helping us raise awareness of the need for more mentors and mentoring programs in Vermont.
For the sixth straight year, MENTOR Vermont and Comcast teamed up again this January to recognize outstanding volunteer mentors and their mentees from around the state!
Visit the Ambassadors of Mentoring webpage to meet the 2021 honorees!
Because of the pandemic, we realize this has been an especially difficult year for youth, and for mentors as well. With these awards, MENTOR Vermont and Comcast hope to highlight the ways mentors and mentees have maintained their connections and discovered new ways to stay in touch during this time of uncertainty. We want to promote positivity, and to encourage new people to become mentors, even if it looks a little different than it did before.
The award ceremony for this year’s Ambassadors took place virtually on Tuesday, January 26. Click Here to watch a recording of the 2021 awards!
This year, due to the pandemic, we—like the many mentors and mentees across the state who are finding creative ways to continue meeting—had to adjust. Our January 2021 virtual Vermont Mentoring Month campaign included many of the elements of past in-person Celebrations but took place online throughout the month. Our goal remained the same, to increase public awareness and support for youth mentoring programs.
This virtual campaign included the following events:
- Mentoring Month Welcome Session (view the recorded session here!)
- Wednesday, January 6 (11:00-11:30 a.m.)
- Ambassadors of Mentoring Awards (hosted by Comcast)
- Tuesday, January 26 (4:00-4:45 p.m.)
- View the recording here!
- Mentoring Month Legislative Lunch (sponsored by Community Bank, NA)
- Wednesday, February 3 (12:00-12:45 p.m.)
We also teamed up with MENTOR National this January to launch the #MentoringAmplifies social media campaign!
January 29, 2021 is #ThankYourMentor Day!
This year, MENTOR Vermont is teaming up with Redstone throughout the week of January 29-February 5 (and throughout 2021) to highlight the voices of youth throughout the state as they thank the mentors they’ve had in their lives.
Visit our Thank Your Mentor page to see quotes from more than 50 mentees from across the state!
Ambassadors of Mentoring Sponsor:
Vermont Mentoring Month Sponsors:
Mentoring Supporter Sponsors:
Additional Support From:
Vermont Mentoring Day Resolution (January 21, 2021), introduced by Rep. Kate Webb (Chittenden-5-1) and ratified by the Vermont House of Representatives and Senate
Download the Resolution
Statewide and National Events:
January 6, 2021 – Vermont Mentoring Month Welcome Session
- MENTOR Vermont gathered supporters together to commemorate the start of Vermont Mentoring Month! This session provided an update on the statewide mentoring movement, and an overview of the month’s virtual festivities. The recorded session can be viewed here.
January 7, 2021 – I Am a Mentor Day
- A day for volunteer mentors to celebrate their role and reflect on the ways mentees have enhanced their world. Mentors were encouraged to create their own content on social media or download this graphic from MENTOR.
January 17, 2021 – International Mentoring Day
- A day of international conversation on social media where photos, videos and messages of powerful mentoring stories were shared.
January 18, 2021 – Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service
- A day to share in the inspirational words of Dr. MLK, Jr. and elevate the spirit of service through volunteerism. Supporters were encouraged to share their own content on social media or download this graphic from MENTOR.
January 26, 2021 – 2021 Ambassadors of Mentoring Awards
- MENTOR Vermont and Comcast honored mentees and mentors who were nominated by their programs as Ambassadors of Mentoring. With this year’s awards, MENTOR Vermont and Comcast aimed to highlight the ways mentors and mentees have maintained their connections and discovered new ways to stay in touch during this time of uncertainty. Visit the Ambassadors of Mentoring webpage to meet this year’s honorees and view the recording of the virtual award ceremony.
January 27 – January 29, 2021 – National Mentoring Summit (Virtual in 2021)
- This year’s 11th annual National Mentoring Summit, convened by MENTOR National focused on “Rising to the Moment” and all the ways our relationship-centered movement has evolved, adapted, and been there for young people. MENTOR is brought together the nationwide mentoring movement, including practitioners, researchers, philanthropic investors, youth leaders, government and civic leaders, and MENTOR’s local Affiliates for the annual opportunity to advance a collective mentoring agenda, strengthen programs and practices, and collaborate to support positive youth development through mentoring.
January 29, 2021 – #ThankYourMentor Day
- A day for everyone to reflect on the mentors they’ve had in their life, and thank them on social media for helping them become the person they are today. Supporters were encouraged to post their own content on social media or download this graphic from MENTOR.
- This year, MENTOR Vermont teamed up with Redstone throughout the week of January 29-February 5 (and throughout 2021) to highlight the voices of youth throughout the state as they thank the mentors they’ve had in their lives.
Visit our Thank Your Mentor page to see quotes from more than 50 mentees from across the state!
February 3, 2021 – Mentoring Month Legislative Lunch
- This lunch-time session provided state legislators with the opportunity to learn more about the statewide mentoring movement and meet with staff, mentors, and mentees from local mentoring programs in their districts.
Thank you for joining us in celebrating Vermont Mentoring Month 2021!
Right-Click on a computer or press and hold on a mobile device to download a campaign image!
Share the videos below with your followers to help promote the new #MentoringAmplifies campaign!
Feel free to copy/paste these sample tweets and posts into your own social media account! Be sure to use the hashtag #MentoringAmplifies in all of your posts to tie into the national campaign.
- I Am a Mentor (Jan 7): How has being a #mentor impacted your mentee, yourself, and your community? Use #MentoringAmplifies to share your story today — and inspire others to join the mentoring movement! Learn more at: https://bit.ly/NMM-2021 #MentoringMonth
- International Mentoring Day (Jan 17): Happy International Mentoring Day! If you’ve been thinking about becoming a #mentor, now is the perfect time. Join a local mentoring program today and help grow the #MentoringAmplifies movement! Learn more at: www.mentorvt.org #MentoringMonth
- Martin Luther King Jr. Service Day (Jan 18): Today we honor the legacy of Dr. MLK Jr. by continuing his work advocating for progress. #MentoringAmplifies equity, understanding, & community — let’s grow the mentoring movement so everyone can achieve their dreams. Learn more at: https://bit.ly/NMM-2021 #MentoringMonth
- Thank Your Mentor Day (Jan 29): Honor the people that helped shape your journey by donating to the #MentoringAmplifies movement Your gift will help build life- changing #mentoring relationships in your community. Learn more at: www.mentorvt.org #MentoringMonth
- This National #MentoringMonth, you can make a difference in a young person’s life and help them explore their strengths and interests! Become a mentor in your community at www.mentorvt.org/become-a-mentor #MentoringAmplifies
- More than 85% of mentees in #VT say that during the pandemic, their mentor was someone they could depend on. Thank you to the 2,300 mentors across the state for taking the time to be with your mentee! #MentoringAmplifies
- Whether it’s exchanging letters, seeing a familiar face on the screen, or spending time together outdoors from a safe distance, #MentoringAmplifies now more than ever! This #MentoringMonth, learn how you can become a mentor by visiting www.mentorvt.org/become-a-mentor
- Research shows that there is something most Americans agree on: mentoring relationships are powerful tools for connection & are critical to our country’s future. This #MentoringMonth, help inspire others to join the mentoring movement at www.mentorvt.org/become-a-mentor #MentoringAmplifies
- This National #MentoringMonth, thank the mentors in your life by sharing your mentoring story using #ThankYourMentor! Let the world know how your mentors helped YOU become the person you are today. #MentoringAmplifies
- Thank you @… for being my mentor. Because you were there for me, I was able to… #MentoringAmplifies
Mentoring is a critical component in young people’s lives, helping them make the decisions and connections that lead to opportunity. You can help expand the mentoring movement by sharing the key speaking points below with your friends and followers throughout January and beyond:
- 1 in 3 young people are growing up without a mentor outside their family. This is the mentoring gap in Vermont and America.
- That’s 32,000 young people in Vermont and 9 million young people nation-wide without a mentor outside their family to walk alongside them through their journey.
- Based on MENTOR Vermont’s survey of youth mentees in the fall of 2020:
- 85% said that “during the pandemic, my mentor was someone I could depend on to be there for me.”
- 85% said that “my mentor provides a safe space where I can share my feelings and experiences related to the COVID-19 pandemic.”
- 74% said that “my relationship with my mentor has made me feel less alone during the COVID-19 pandemic.”
- Youth with mentors are more likely to pursue college and other education opportunities after high school.
- More than 86% of mentors in Vermont play a direct role in their mentee’s education.
- Young people with a mentor in their life are 78% more likely to volunteer in their communities, and are 81% more likely to participate in sports and other extracurricular activities.
- Nearly 87% of youth mentees in Vermont say that having a mentor has made a difference in their life.
- At a time when much of the focus is on what divides us, MENTOR research shows that there is something the majority of Americans agree on: mentoring relationships are powerful tools for connection and are critical to our country’s future.
- Americans are overwhelmingly crossing racial, economic, and other bridges to mentor young people outside their families.
- More than 80% of adults agree with government investment in mentoring, and more than two-thirds are already mentoring or willing to consider it.
- Nearly 96% of mentors in Vermont would recommend becoming a mentor to a friend, family member, or colleague.
Launched in 2002 by MENTOR National and the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, National Mentoring Month focuses national attention on the need for mentors, as well as how each of us—individuals, businesses, government agencies, schools, faith communities and nonprofits—can work together to increase the number of mentors to help ensure positive outcomes for our young people. This campaign celebrates mentoring and the positive effect it can have on young lives. Its goals are to:
- Raise awareness of mentoring in its various forms
- Recruit individuals to mentor, especially in programs that have waiting lists of young people
- Promote the rapid growth of mentoring by recruiting organizations to engage their constituents in mentoring
National partners work with local leaders to organize special events in their communities supported by local media outlets and public officials. These events help interested adults learn how to turn their concern for young people into direct action by becoming mentors. Each year since its launch, National Mentoring Month has enjoyed the strong support of the U.S. President and members of Congress. Other well-known supporters include the late Maya Angelou, Clint Eastwood, Senator John McCain, Quincy Jones, General Colin L. Powell, Cal Ripken Jr., Bill Russell and Usher. Learn more about those who have committed to helping improve the lives of America’s young people through mentoring by viewing a collection of video vignettes and short PSAs from the past 15 years of National Mentoring Month.
MENTOR Vermont, as the state’s affiliate of MENTOR, organizes an annual Vermont Mentoring Month campaign featuring both statewide and local program events.
National Mentoring Month Sponsors: