For the eighth straight year, MENTOR Vermont and Comcast teamed up again this January to recognize outstanding volunteer mentors and their mentees from around the state!
If your Vermont-based mentoring agency would like to nominate a match for the 2023 Vermont Ambassadors of Mentoring please complete this nomination form. Nominations are due January 15th!
To meet the 2022 honorees visit the Ambassadors of Mentoring webpage!
Vermont Mentoring Ambassadors are mentoring pairs who are passionate about the impact of mentoring and work with MENTOR Vermont staff and Vermont Mentoring Programs throughout the state to engage different audiences and spread awareness about the mentoring movement.
The recognition ceremony for the 2023 Ambassadors of Mentoring will take place on February 1st, 2023 at the Capitol Plaza in Montpelier.
Our 2023 Vermont Mentoring Month Celebration will take place on Wednesday February 1st, 2023 from 9:30am-1:30pm at the Capitol Plaza in Montpelier.
Join us for MENTOR Vermont’s annual statewide mentoring celebration at the Vermont Statehouse for a day of fun. We’ll have a special guest performance from an all-youth social justice musical group as well as complimentary catered lunch from The Capitol Plaza.
The full schedule of events for the day is as follows:
9:00 am – Arrival (Capitol Plaza Governors’ Ballroom)
9:30 – 11:30 am
Celebration Stations and Networking
Ambassadors of Mentoring Recognition
11:30 am – 12:30 pm – Complimentary Catered Lunch & Special Guest Performance
12:30 – 12:45 pm – Head across to Statehouse, group photo
12:45 – 1:00 pm – Assemble in House for Mentoring Month Resolution
1:30 pm – (Optional) State House Page Meet and Greet
-Conclusion of Event-
Registration for Mentees, Mentors, & Programs
Registration for Guests, Sponsors, & Legislators
Join us this January as we elevate the power of relationships and drive positive change for young people. Find more resources and join the movement at https://www.mentoring.org/campaigns/national-mentoring-month/.
Statewide and National Events:
January 11, 2023 – I Am a Mentor Day
- A day for volunteer mentors to celebrate their role and reflect on the ways mentees have enhanced their world. Mentors are encouraged to create their own content on social media or share your story here.
January 16, 2023 – Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service
- A day to share in the inspirational words of Dr. MLK, Jr. and elevate the spirit of service through volunteerism. Supporters were encouraged to share their own content on social media or share your story here.
January 17, 2023 – International Mentoring Day
- A day of international conversation on social media where photos, videos, and messages of powerful mentoring stories were shared.
January 26, 2023 – Thank Your Mentor Day
- A day for everyone to reflect on the mentors they’ve had in their life, and thank them on social media for helping them become the person they are today. Supporters were encouraged to post their own content on social media or share your story here.
National Mentoring Month Coffee Hours
January 10, 2023 at 9:00 am – Youth Voice and Youth Ambassadors of Mentoring
- Join us as we discuss youth voice and engagement with mentoring program activities, boards, recruitment, and advocacy efforts. We’ll also discuss how our Vermont Ambassadors of Mentoring program will help programs garner more youth involvement in their operations
January 17, 2023 at 11:00 am – State Wide Polling Discussion
- Programs Coordinators and Directors across the state will discuss with MENTOR Vermont strategies and learnings from our statewide polling conducted in 2022
January 23, 2023 at 10:00 am – Virtual Summit Meet-up
- Programs across the state have the opportunity to connect to discuss the National Mentoring Month Virtual Summit! We’ll discuss what to expect, national and statewide mentoring advocacy campaigns, and what mentoring looks like in Vermont for 2023. To register for the Virtual National Mentoring Summit, click ‘here’
To join these coffee hours, please email Sarah at [email protected]
January 25 – January 27, 2023 – National Mentoring Summit
- This year’s 13th annual National Mentoring Summit, convened by MENTOR National. MENTOR is bringing together the nationwide mentoring movement, including practitioners, researchers, philanthropic investors, youth leaders, government and civic leaders, and MENTOR’s local Affiliates for the annual opportunity to advance a collective mentoring agenda, strengthen programs and practices, and collaborate to support positive youth development through mentoring.
We hope you will join us in celebrating Vermont Mentoring Month this January!
Each January, we come together as a community to ignite those passions and help turn those wildest dreams into reality with National Mentoring Month. By harnessing our collective voice, MENTOR advocates for mentorship, legislative priorities, and raises awareness for how one conversation, one experience, and one mentor can change a young person’s life.
Join us for exciting opportunities all month long to grow the movement and celebrate the power of supportive and meaningful mentor relationships! Learn how you can participate by exploring MENTOR’s resources below and engage on social media using the hashtags #MentoringAmplifies and #MentoringMonth through January.
Click here to view and download the 2023 National Mentoring Month Toolkits.NMM Engagement Graphic (2)
Mentoring Month Proclamation 2023
23-001 Mentoring Month Proclamation
Download Governor Scott’s 2023 Vermont Mentoring Month Proclamation
Vermont Mentoring Day Resolution 2023 coming soon, see the 2022 resolution below:
Vermont Mentoring Day Resolution 2022 (January 25, 2022), introduced by Rep. Kate Webb (Chittenden-5-1) and ratified by the Vermont House of Representatives and Senate
2022 Mentoring Day Resolution
Download the Resolution
Watch the reading of the official resolution and remarks by Rep. Kate Webb below.
Launched in 2002 by MENTOR National and the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, National Mentoring Month focuses national attention on the need for mentors, as well as how each of us—individuals, businesses, government agencies, schools, faith communities and nonprofits—can work together to increase the number of mentors to help ensure positive outcomes for our young people. This campaign celebrates mentoring and the positive effect it can have on young lives. Its goals are to:
- Raise awareness of mentoring in its various forms
- Recruit individuals to mentor, especially in programs that have waiting lists of young people
- Promote the rapid growth of mentoring by recruiting organizations to engage their constituents in mentoring
National partners work with local leaders to organize special events in their communities supported by local media outlets and public officials. These events help interested adults learn how to turn their concern for young people into direct action by becoming mentors. Each year since its launch, National Mentoring Month has enjoyed the strong support of the U.S. President and members of Congress. Other well-known supporters include the late Maya Angelou, Clint Eastwood, Senator John McCain, Quincy Jones, General Colin L. Powell, Cal Ripken Jr., Bill Russell and Usher. Learn more about those who have committed to helping improve the lives of America’s young people through mentoring by viewing a collection of video vignettes and short PSAs from the past 15 years of National Mentoring Month. In addition, read former President Barack Obama’s National Mentoring Month press release from January 2016.
MENTOR Vermont, as the state’s affiliate of MENTOR, organizes an annual Vermont Mentoring Month campaign featuring both statewide and local program events.