January is National Mentoring Month! We encourage you to use the resources below to join the festivities and help us raise awareness of the need for more mentors and mentoring programs in Vermont.
MENTOR Vermont and Comcast teamed up again this January to recognize an outstanding volunteer as the Vermont Mentor of the Year. This year’s winner, Kasia Sosnow, was recognized at MENTOR Vermont’s Youth Mentoring Celebration in Montpelier during National Mentoring Month (January 23, 2019).
The 2019 Vermont Mentoring Celebration took place on Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at the Capitol Plaza and Vermont Statehouse in Montpelier.
This annual event marked the culmination of National Mentoring Month festivities in Vermont, and featured a Mentoring Month proclamation by the Governor, a Mentoring Month resolution by the House and Senate, the awarding of the Vermont Mentor of the Year Award, free statehouse tours and lunch for youth mentees and their mentors, and much more.
The full schedule of events for the day was as follows:
9:15 am – 9:45 am: Register and gather at the Capitol Plaza Hotel, in the Governor’s Ballroom
9:45 am – 11:30 am:
Mentor Match Activities (poster & button making and photo booth)
Signing of Governor’s Mentoring Month Proclamation and Remarks by Governor Phil Scott
Networking Activity (led by Girls/Boyz First coordinator Wendy Freundlich)
Presentation of Vermont Mentor of the Year Award by Comcast
Facilitated Group Activity for Youth Mentees
11:30 am – 12:30 pm:
Lunch (also in Governor’s Ballroom)
Group Photos for Programs
-Move across street to Vermont Statehouse-
12:45 pm: Gather in House Chambers
1:00 pm: Mentoring Month Resolution by the House of Representatives
1:30 pm: Tours of the Statehouse
-Conclusion of Event-
For more information about the event, visit:
Statewide and National Events:
January 4, 2019 – I Am a Mentor Day
- A day for volunteer mentors to celebrate their role and reflect on the ways mentees have enhanced their world.
January 17, 2019 – International Mentoring Day
- A day of international conversation on social media where photos, videos and messages of powerful mentoring stories are shared.
January 21, 2019 – Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service
- A day to share in the inspirational words of Dr. MLK, Jr. and elevate the spirit of service through volunteerism.
January 23, 2019 – Vermont Mentoring Celebration (Montpelier, VT)
January 30- February 1, 2019 – National Mentoring Summit (Washington D.C.)
January 31, 2019 – #ThankYourMentor Day
For a full list of local program events, visit MENTOR Vermont’s Events page.
Do you have a National Mentoring Month event you’d like to have us promote? Send it to [email protected]. Please be sure to include the start and end time, a paragraph description, and the full address for the location.
Right-Click on a computer or press and hold on a mobile device to download a campaign image!
Feel free to copy/paste these sample tweets and posts into your own social media account! Be sure to use the hashtag #MentorIRL in all of your posts to tie into the national campaign.
- This National #MentoringMonth, you can make a difference in a young person’s life and help them to succeed. Become a mentor in real life today at bit.ly/BeAMentorIRL #MentorIRL
- Research shows that there is something most Americans agree on: mentoring relationships are powerful tools for connection & are critical to our country’s future. This #MentoringMonth, help inspire others to join the mentoring movement at bit.ly/BeAMentorIRL #MentorIRL
- This National #MentoringMonth, thank the mentors in your life by sharing your mentoring story using #ThankYourMentor! Share your story at www.mentoring.org/stories to help inspire others to join the mentoring field!
- Thank you @… for being my mentor. Because you were there for me, I was able to… #MentorIRL
Mentoring is a critical component in young people’s lives, helping them make the decisions and connections that lead to opportunity. You can help expand the mentoring movement by sharing the key speaking points below with your friends and followers throughout January and beyond:
- 1 in 3 young people are growing up without a mentor outside their family. This is the mentoring gap in Vermont and America.
- That’s 32,000 young people in Vermont and 9 million young people nation-wide without a mentor outside their family to walk alongside them through their journey.
- Youth with mentors are less likely to skip school and more likely to pursue college and other post-secondary education.
- More than 88% of mentors in Vermont play a direct role in their mentee’s education.
- Nearly 72% of youth mentees in Vermont feel like they matter to people in their community.
- At a time when much of the focus is on what divides us, MENTOR research shows that there is something the majority of Americans agree on: mentoring relationships are powerful tools for connection and are critical to our country’s future.
- Americans are overwhelmingly crossing racial, economic, and other bridges to mentor young people outside their families.
- More than 80% of adults agree with government investment in mentoring, and more than two-thirds are already mentoring or willing to consider it.
- Nearly 96% of mentors in Vermont would recommend becoming a mentor to a friend, family member, or colleague.
Launched in 2002 by MENTOR: The National Mentoring Partnership and the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, National Mentoring Month focuses national attention on the need for mentors, as well as how each of us—individuals, businesses, government agencies, schools, faith communities and nonprofits—can work together to increase the number of mentors to help ensure positive outcomes for our young people. This campaign celebrates mentoring and the positive effect it can have on young lives. Its goals are to:
- Raise awareness of mentoring in its various forms
- Recruit individuals to mentor, especially in programs that have waiting lists of young people
- Promote the rapid growth of mentoring by recruiting organizations to engage their constituents in mentoring
MENTOR Vermont, as the state’s affiliate of MENTOR, organizes an annual Vermont Mentoring Month campaign with a statewide Mentoring Celebration and local program events.